Saturday 25 October 2014

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

 
Shatter Me
Tahereh Mafi
★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆


I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


I really hated the start of the book. it has so many weird lines--
i'm dripping red paint on the floor
my mouth is on my kneecaps....

etc.



I really ship Kenji and Juliette. I think Adam is sweet though. it got much more readable, and I really really liked it from page 290 onwards. but because it was SO boring the rest of the time, I give it a 2\5. (1 and a half)
Going into more depth, I didn't like Juliette much until the end. She seemed a bit weak (emotionally) but I guess she had been through some awful stuff. The strikethroughs of text bugged me (it sucks to try and read through that) and the constant weird metaphors?


The makeout scenes were awkward, and I cringed through most of the scenes  the entire book because the writing was just.....

And I didn't care for Juliette and Adams relationship much either. Just being honest...







 
Now. As for Kenji......................................................  ;)


I would recommend it because even though it wasn't my thing, it may be someone elses? And my friend told me Juliette gets "some serious backbone" later on which I CANNOT wait for! I really hope they don't make a Warner-Juliette-Adam love triangle, but I do want Juliette to end up with Kenji, as before stated. xD I felt like this book had too much of a shortage of female characters. It seriously annoyed me at points because there is literally only Juliette and tons of guys. Near the end the book kind of turns into the X men, which wasn't bad :) I have an issue with the cover though-- why is there a runway model???



I mean REALLY?? they couldn't be more original or interesting? I really don't like it. -_-
My feeling towards Adam were this- he was a bit too possessive and needy. This would be me in a relationship with him-


okay, now one thing I HAVE to mention---
I will read unravel me. I may and may not like it, but I will give it a chance and be open minded, like I was with Shatter Me.

XX

No comments:

Post a Comment