Tuesday 28 October 2014

Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns 
John Green
★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ 


Who is the real Margo?

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew...


I am going to start this review by saying this is not a fangirling review. Quite the opposite. Sorry.



The start of this book, the adventure with Margo was PERFECT. So how did things go so downhill?
Well for a start the characters are the same as in Looking For Alaska.
The main character who is socially awkward and unpopular is in love with the cool, trendy girl who is different to everyone else, and then goes on a mission to find her, with his humorous and kind of strange best friend.











There's also the girl who for a second people think might be a love interest but they don't end up being the love interest after all. COME ON. That is the exact plot for Looking For Alaska!  In the middle of that sentence I forgot whether this was a review for LFA or Paper Towns!
I think with these two books you can only love ONE. And I felt that Looking For Alaska was a superior version. Much more superior. I stopped thinking as Q as an actual person- his ONLY interests are Margo and a video game. He has no background, no personality and no interesting facts. And Margo is just an annoying copy of Alaska. I'm sorry- I didn't love her.










 Most of this book I had to DRAG myself through because UNLIKE Looking For Alaska, this book was BORING. It even got painful after a bit.













Things I did like about the book... Come on, there has to be a reason you gave this a 2 instead of one- ok, I liked the start as I stated before. And I loved the road trip part until they found Margo. The ending was SO cheesy! Happy endings just don't work for John Green. You could FEEL the awkwardness. And I also liked that the humour was good. It wasn't forced or too try-hard. The book actually made me laugh around the road trip part. Ben and his bladder.... XD


Do I recommend this book? Sure! Read it all you like. I'm just saying that I didn't like it because I liked Looking For Alaska so much, and the book was a total copy of it. I will likely see the movie even though Margo is supposed to be curvy with chestnut hair, not stick thin and barbie like (no hate please!) but maybe Cara's acting will make up for that? John said she was good and the casting for TFIOS was perfect so... *shrugs* I trust him on this choice. And he couldn't have chosen a better Q.


2/5 for being a bit too much like LFA but having humour.  

Until the next time, xx Emmi\Aria

No comments:

Post a Comment