Tuesday 28 October 2014

Alphas by Lisi Harrison

Alphas
Lisi Harrison
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

At OCD the losers are tormented.

At Alpha Academy, they're sent home.

Skye Hamilton has scored an invitation to the ultra-exclusive Alphas-only boarding school where beta is spelled LBR . What happens when the country's best, brightest, and hawtest begin clawing and scratching their way to the top?

In year eight, I picked up a book called The Clique, and I loved it. It was witty, clever and interesting with likeable characters. And Alphas is even better. 
I liked that the girls weren't nearly as silly as in the clique- no, "LBR" "ermahgawd" "pretty committee" or petty cat fights. This is Harrison at her best.
From page one to the end, I was captivated by the book. I loved the characters- Skye, Charlie and even Allie at the end- and found he book humorous and realistic.
But there was one problem,  with two words.
Love. Triangle.

It was obvious there would BE one, but I was upset at Allie through most of it- she was so horrible to Charlie, saying she was a spy and all the rest. 
But all the characters had really good backstories- Skye, and her need for people to notice her, Charlie and her devotion to Darwin and feeling guilty for what she had to do to get into Alpha academy and Allie and her secret of identity theft. I had hoped she would be found out. I really hated Allie through most of the book- she was needy and pathetic. She was okay in the end, though not exactly loveable. She is still crazily insecure and scared. 
As for the recurring cast- perfect. Triple was a pretty awesome frenemy, and Renee was a pretty cool one, too. But Renee was almost Massie-like, which worries me a little. As in, in the second book, what if I open it to find that Skye has become Dylan Marvil and Charlie is suddenly Claire Lyons? But I trust Lisi to NOT have made that mistake. 

The love interests were okay. There weren't obvious ones other than Darwin after all. I hope the second book will say more about the other brothers, and maybe Charlie can end up with Darwin and Allie with someone else?? 

The only real issue with the book was the length. I hope the next one is at least 300 pages. I need moreeee! 

The book itself was pretty readable and easy- a fun read that does teach you a few things about being yourself- from when Skye realises she has just danced for others and not herself. You need time to do something for yourself and this book said that clearly. 

5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment