Tuesday 14 July 2015

Mates, Dates series by Cathy Hopkins books 5-6

301040

Mates, Dates and Sole Survivors
Cathy Hopkins
★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
Synopsis from Goodreads-

After a missed connection with Tony, Lucy takes the advice of her best pals and decides to instead focus on other boys and on herself. She and Izzie attend a spa/self-help retreat for the weekend, but Lucy is surprised when a run-in (literally) with a guy turns out to be more than she expected. Ah, Daniel seems so sweet at first: attentive to her, generous, into fashion...but then Lucy gets word that his past relationships have fizzled because of his overbearing behavior. Read that: He has a history of being a control freak -- but is that just history, or will it happen with Lucy, too? Never fear, for Lucy's good sense and her friends' sage advice put her on the path of being true to herself.

It's official. I AM ADDICTED TO THESE BOOKS. I HATE THEM, BUT I CAN'T STOP READING THEM!!

This one, though, I actually liked. I don't like how these girls go through boys like tissues and then blame them for being fickle, however.

Sole Survivors actually made me laugh in places- it was significantly more tolerable.


301029

Mates, Dates and Mad Mistakes
Cathy Hopkins
★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆
Synopsis from Goodreads-


As soon as Mum dropped me off, I made a dive for the ladies room, where I trashed the sandwich she'd made me and reapplied my makeup. Mum really didn't understand. I couldn't possibly get up on stage in front of everyone looking like I was dressed for afternoon tea with my grandma.
Izzie is restless, and eager to be treated like an adult. So she decides it's time to make some changes. But the new Izzie comes with new problems. First there is Josh Harper, an older, cute-but-wild boy. Then there is her mother, who is opposed to every part of the "new Izzie."
How can Izzie learn about herself and what it means to be grown up -- without upsetting everyone along the way?


These books have the same formula. A new boy every book, conflict, drama.
This one got a bit darker, studying issues like drugs and drinking, but I wish it gave more of a message of how bad it is for you. But I suppose they had to keep it light and fluffy. I think I'd enjoy these books a bit more if they built up a plot between a few books, it's feeling a bit Glee at the moment. You know, how in an episode one drama pops up and is solved in the end? Then the next episode does the same.
Can't say I was disappointed, as I didn't expect much.

No comments:

Post a Comment