Friday 2 January 2015

Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult

Handle with Care
Jodi Picoult
Age rec- 14-30
FIVE STARS

Prior to Handle with care, I had read three of Picoult's  novels- Sing you home, The pact and My sisters keeper. I liked them all very much- they all got 4 stars- but weren't exactly 5 star material. This book is.
I realise I've been too kind with ratings recently, but this book was just..... gorgeous. I read the first 20 pages and knew it was The One. I fell in love with each and every character, and the story caused me so many #Feels and pain. Every character, and every backstory was beautiful and sad. I was very happy that Amelia got help in the end- there are too many books about teens in this kind of pain, and they just go off the deep end and don't get better.
But this is SO Picoult- Just when things are finally OK again, she hits you with a CRAZY twist that can honestly SHATTER you. I was crying for about an HOUR.
 
Some of the law terms, as usual, had me baffled. But this book helped me discover my wish to b a lawyer. I'm thinking I want to be a defence attorney- but I might change my mind.
Even though I loved it, I kind of read 40 pages, then I set it down for a month, and then it got overdue, and I had to speed-read it, which took me EXACTLY two days. It was hard to put down!
As always, Picoult delivers the deepest, most controversial subjects. And she always makes me think. I'm not going into the pro-life pro-choice stuff, but I wasn't a fan of the lawsuit. I really hoped Charlotte would withdraw it.
It was causing pain and hurt for everyone, and as a result, I hated Charlotte for 90% of the book. Especially when, for a film, she forced Willow's physical therapist to make her do something too difficult- and then blamed it on the Physical Therapist. She did it for attention, and I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and shake her.

All of the OI stuff was REALLY interesting. I had never heard of it before, but it's important to know about, even if it's rare. It would be so awful, to not be able to hug your newborn daughter without breaking her arm or rib.

Marin's backstory was a favourite part of mine. It was so sad and the end result was devastating- though I won't give spoilers. It was sad, and I do understand Marin's biological mother's choice, even if it hurt Marin.

The Spoiler Sessions!

The ending left me so heartbroken. I never, ever saw that coming. I kind of thought Amelia would die, or when Willow cut herself with Amelia's razor, she would die then. But... DROWNING???
The most  unlikely thing you'd think of- maybe second to being chased, by  a chicken, to a gum factory, and falling in the hot rubber and dying from burns. Whatever. But that is the most SNEAKY, DIABOLICAL move EVER. Well played, Jodi Picoult. You broke my heart in two.
I was in tears in the end, completely ugly crying. If anyone came past my bedroom and saw me, they'd think Willow was my DAUGHTER.
I did know, however, that something would happen between Piper and Sean- even if it ended up just being a kiss. I actually kind of shipped them. They had chemistry, and I felt that Charlotte and Sean weren't... passionate. But it made for a realistic ending, I suppose.
I was always upset for Amelia, and I felt pained for her the whole book- through her cutting, bulimia, and THAT TURD, ADAM. All Adams are jerks! fictional ones anyway. If i stay!! Shatter me!
I was incredibly relieved when it was stated that she went to "bulimia" camp and made it back okay. Not just okay- happy.
But can you imagine how Willow's death would affect her? How about Sean and Charlotte?? Even Piper, though the book didn't end with her and the O' Keefes on good terms.
There were parts where I really hated Sean.
There was a part when he forced himself on Charlotte- I don't care that they were married. His actions were unwanted. She tried to fight against him!!

I liked that this book spanned over a year and a half, it didn't feel rushed, and I really got to know and care for each character (at most times. I mean, the only characters I never hated were Willow, Amelia and Marin.). Willow narrating her death scene was so sad. I thought, "OOHHHH YEY A WILLOW SCENE!" and then I thought, "WAIT WHAT IS THIS???? IS THIS HAPPENING? THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!!! ASGFDSHDSGJ!!"
I think I am still recovering from this.
I loved Willows trivia- it was really cool, and I actually knew none of it. 
Overall, sometimes the story slowed (rarely) but I didn't force my way through. I glided through it tearfully.
This is my first Jodi Picoult book that gets...

FIVE GOLDEN STARS!!!!
Until the next time...
X EMMI\ARIA X
Also-- HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

No comments:

Post a Comment